The Little Grand CanyonAfter we were finished at the dinosaur excavation on Saturday it was time for lunch. We were planning on just eating there at the site. But Alex got talking to a lady there and she said if we drove about 10 miles further we could go see what is called the Little Grand Canyon. We had all day ahead of us so we decided we would do it.
We followed the lady and her family. After 20 minutes on a bumpy dirt road I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get there. Finally we pulled over and got out to look. The view took my breath away; mostly because of the beauty but partially because I am afraid of heights. It was gorgeous! There was even an eagle or hawk flying overhead.
But that stop was not our final destination. We got back in and drove for about 5 more minutes and came to the lookout area. I really had a hard time there. It was a cliff that jutted out into the canyon. There were no barriers on the edge. I wasn't so worried about myself, but Michael is constant motion and worrying about him getting too close to the edge about did me in.
I took a lot of calming breaths and looked out to enjoy the view. It was absolutely amazing! The way the cliffs were carved and the different layers and colors. It is amazing to me that I can drive two hours from Provo and its rolling mountains and be in the desert with majestic cliffs and plateaus.
I tried hard not to show my kids how scared I was. I don't want them to be scared of heights because I am. I offered Lorenne my camera and she took a bunch of pictures. That got her over her nervousness. Yesterday she took the pictures with her to school for show and tell.
We found a big flat rock back on more solid ground and spread our blanket over it for a picnic table. As I was setting up my chair I saw something move on the ground. I was already jumpy so the movement really startled me. I looked down and saw two little lizards running around the rock. I got the kids to come over and look. The two lizards scurried over to the next big rock and then the next as we followed them.
The kids loved the lizards. Michael wanted to catch one, of course. We didn't catch one, but I did manage to get a picture.
After eating we got back in the car and began the drive home. On the way back Lorenne asked Alex if they were going shopping for Mother's Day. So when we got back to Provo Alex and the kids dropped me off and they went shopping. So I had a few hours to myself. A great end to a wonderful day.
We followed the lady and her family. After 20 minutes on a bumpy dirt road I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get there. Finally we pulled over and got out to look. The view took my breath away; mostly because of the beauty but partially because I am afraid of heights. It was gorgeous! There was even an eagle or hawk flying overhead.
But that stop was not our final destination. We got back in and drove for about 5 more minutes and came to the lookout area. I really had a hard time there. It was a cliff that jutted out into the canyon. There were no barriers on the edge. I wasn't so worried about myself, but Michael is constant motion and worrying about him getting too close to the edge about did me in.
I took a lot of calming breaths and looked out to enjoy the view. It was absolutely amazing! The way the cliffs were carved and the different layers and colors. It is amazing to me that I can drive two hours from Provo and its rolling mountains and be in the desert with majestic cliffs and plateaus.
I tried hard not to show my kids how scared I was. I don't want them to be scared of heights because I am. I offered Lorenne my camera and she took a bunch of pictures. That got her over her nervousness. Yesterday she took the pictures with her to school for show and tell.
We found a big flat rock back on more solid ground and spread our blanket over it for a picnic table. As I was setting up my chair I saw something move on the ground. I was already jumpy so the movement really startled me. I looked down and saw two little lizards running around the rock. I got the kids to come over and look. The two lizards scurried over to the next big rock and then the next as we followed them.
The kids loved the lizards. Michael wanted to catch one, of course. We didn't catch one, but I did manage to get a picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment