It is that time of year when I break out the sewing machine and go to town.
It started 4 years ago when my mother-in-law was going to get Lorenne a Mulan costume for Halloween. But then they sold out. How could I disappoint my daughter who had her heart set on being Mulan? I couldn't. So I went to JoAnn's, found a pattern for a kimono and bought fabric.
It was a wonderful challenge creating that first costume. Since then I have made Snow White and Belle costumes for Lorenne. This year it is a witch costume. Of course I could take the easy way out and buy one or do a simple dress, but where is the fun in that?
Lorenne picked out her pattern and fabric for her witch's costume. It was a much simpler project doing a witch costume than last year's Belle costume. But one thing I truly love about this year's costume is that it is more Lorenne. It is what she wanted entirely.
I find great satisfaction when the costume is done and it is time to go to my mom's house for the big family Halloween party. Seeing all the grandchildren dressed up and having so much fun is truly the best treat of the holiday.
People are always telling me that I should make costumes and sell them. But how do you put a price on love? I can't. And that is what making Lorenne's costume is; it is a labor of love. I hope someday she will look back and realize how much love went into each and every costume I made her.
I can't wait to see a pic with both of your kids!
ReplyDelete